Used kitchen for first time too. Made coffee. Grabbed yogurt from fridge. Big culinary success. Went to scaf, which was what they call fake dinner here. Saturday there's no big hall dinner, you do caf. style from 6:45-7:15. Had chicken tandoori. Was good. Went to JCR where discovered that even if a drink has an awesome name like snake bite, it might not actually BE awesome. Moved on to doing what any true Russian would. You know. And if you don't, just look up the Russ word for water. Went to club called Clems- not the best name choice, in my opinion. Very crowded, but was fine because it was some StCatz's kid's birthday, so met more fellow SC students. Also hung with club promoter for Oxford, which I think is good because I believe this means we're "in." And that's good because it means no more "queues." Which in rain/cold is v. v. brills. Made poor decision re: outfit by wearing skirt. Everyone gets super fancied up to go out here so I decided to concede. Maybe better idea for somewhere where there are not so many people super super close. Issues.
Came home around 1, which is early to me. And rooms had friend from London here; they'd gone out to dinner and come home, so friend was sleeping on the couch. Rooms was sleeping in bedroom. So, on the best game plan ever, I fetched my humus, crackers, and cheese from the kitchen, and proceeded to eat while sitting half in the bathroom/hallway with my computer. Very glad no one decided last night was a good time for a visit.
Today walked to town to change $$$ and in a surprising twist, got a dress. Granted, it has birds on it, so it's not totally shocking, but it is rare. But it's so tempting because everything everywhere is on sale. It was even a steal with the exchange rate so I figured why not. Had pizza for dinner with a bunch of other Americans because they don't feed us on Sundays.
Lectures start tomorrow, so I've been slogging through the lecture lists to coordinate my schedule. They're optional, but I have so many I want to go to. So far, tomorrow I've got 7, but I'll probably flag after some of them, so we'll see.
Also finished reading Siddhartha. Liked it, but I feel like it would be much better without reading a translation. Some books are okay in trans. and some not so much. But I found one line that I immediately underlined and turned the page down: Most people are like fallen leaves that blow and whirl about in the air, then dip and fall to earth. But others, only a few, are like stars, which move on a fixed course where no wind reaches them; they have their law and their course within them. I have this pet peeve about how it's suddenly "cool" to "get away with things"- like the less you can do, the better; tricking someone into giving you more than you give them, etc. It's like having any kind of character at all is being stodgy and edging over the line between right and wrong is what's "hot." Suddenly using a lot of quotes. Feels silly. But this really irritates me and I've thought it over a lot. Probably why I like that line so much.
On non-ranty note, have put camera in backpack, so this means I promise there will be an attempt to attempt to remember to try and take pictures. And then try to remember to post them. ! Cross my heart, hope to die.
ohhhh love that quote!
ReplyDeleteTHAT'S A POEM