Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So I'm reading up on the characters/history of King Arthur related stuff and discovered this gem of a sentence: "there followed a major scene involving glowing babies turning into bread." Netherlandish painting flashbacks, anyone?

Why am I doing this research now when tutorials haven't started? Because my tutor emailed me and asked if I could pop in to his office tomorrow morning at 9.30 for a chat. This email involved complicated bus/walking instructions, and sometimes I'm not even sure I remember where my own room is yet. Am engaging in a bit of googlemapping. But the cool part is that my tutor for this is the director of creative writing studies at Oxford, so I can hit him up about poetry and shit. I'm hoping that he will be the super adorable brit version of Scafidi. And that he will be wearing a sweater vest.

Today it is 0C and snowing again. There is a snow man outside our dorm that changes its accessories each night. Yesterday it had on glasses and a necklace strung from xmas lights. Today those were gone and a blonde toupee was stuck on there.

Walked around to about half the other colleges today to stalk inside their courtyards. The oldest ones are nicest, but the dorm rooms are all modernized anyway. St. Catz is much newer, but we've got a bathroom of our own and big windows. I just want a tutorial in another college so I can wander around their halls and look for the Room of Requirement.

I also got a scarf with our college colors on it, just like in HP! Very excited about this because a. it's going to be cool to have someone say "neato scarf" and be like "thanks, it's my college scarf" and b. our crest colors are maroon related and those colors look good on me. Just sayin.

Also found another good coffee location right next to our reading room, which is in fact not a room but this ancient round building that is like a mini-duomo. The cafe is right behind it and kind of underground, which is cool. It also has a garden with tables, which I'm sure will be nicer when it's not "Frozen Britain."

Went to the covered market too, and saw amazing fresh rhubarb and garlic! I know where I'm going, if I can actually find a refrigerator where I can store stuff. The whole thing was cool. It has a cobbler and a fresh fish market and a meat pie/pasty shop. Going to try those soon. Also ate a Ben's cookie, and I've heard rumors it's the best cookie stall west of the river (I actually have no idea where it is, but their cookies are delishcious). So, so far today I've eaten a piece of cake for breakfast and a cookie for lunch.

Only an hour until dinner. I'm starving everyday from about 3-7 and I have not yet discovered if there is in fact anywhere to obtain food that doesn't involve the 15min trek into town. Am maybe going to pub tonight, but as I have tutor meeting/navigation to do early, not sure until googlemap comes through for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment