Thursday, January 14, 2010

Okay, so I made it to see my tutor this AM. Unfortunately, even though my meeting was for 9.30 the bus left at 8.24 so had a lovely little break at Starbucks. How new, right? I did at least start reading Siddhartha, which I've been meaning to read forever. Sorry, not reading it in the woods. But the meeting was good; I'm mixing medieval/Victorian lense for Arthur legends. Which most likely means I a. get to write an essay on Gawain and the Green Knight and b. The Lady of Shalott.
Also, in tutor's email to me he wrote: Yes, your existence was only confirmed to me this morning...
Good to know that my existence is, in fact, confirmed. I was worried for a bit.

And the second bonus of my little trip is that Ewert House, which is where I went obv, is in the middle of this street of shops called, no surprise, the summertown shops, so I was able to combine errands with the trek. I finally found a shower basket and a laundry bag, surprisingly hard commodities to come by. And I went grocerying, in Marks and Spenser to get some gems like rhubarb yogurt and blinis. I also bought prosecco and even though it's legal here, when I stand in that checkout line, it's like yeah man, I'm breakin' the law. Whaaat. Clearly also bought a lot of cheese. The steal of the day was that I got 2 bags of clementines for 4 pounds.

Got back to St. Catz and wasted time online, seeing as I still don't have confirmed tutorial for next week. Decided I needed peanut butter, so went back into town. Ended up walking around for approx. 2 hours searching for this book I saw yesterday for my mom. It's on Inspector Lewis and Morse. Only true mystery readers/BBC mystery fans will understand why I looked for so long. Did finally find it.

But not before I had wandered into a stationary store and purchased many unneeded things. Actually, it all worked out because I got these cool paper plates to decorate with, and I spent most of the night cutting/taping things to my wall. I found this calender of vintage posters on sale, so I just bought that, ripped it up, and then covered shapes I cut out of cardboard with some patterned paper. I taped up a line of paper plates off to the left on the wall. It's very deco, I think.

Clearly was also sidetracked in town and had to go see Gloucester green, and then ended up inside this store where I found fish, bird, and russian doll socks, so there went 5 pounds out the window. And did second grocery run for the peanut butter, and ended up with apples, crackers, breakfast stuff. And coffee. Bought tiny purple french press because there is no way I am living without a way to make coffee for 6 months. Went into the kitchen last night and voila, only a kettle in there. Oh, you brits and your tea. I'll throw it back into the harbor. Though did buy some earl grey today. And mint. So.

Three side notes of this excessively long recounting: 1.Yesterday morning, I forgot to say, rooms and I saw a baby fox running across the snowy garden outside our window. 2. I went past an office on which the sign read Pig&Whistle. Must discover what this is straightaway and go to work for them. 3. Found out that dinner was only caf. style while everyone was moving in. Each night at 7:15 we go to Hall, stand while the tutors file in to the head table, the head proctor speaks, and then we get served a 3 course meal. Somehow I don't see that happening in FFC.

Another issue with britland. Why must all desserts contain hidden raisins? The nemesis of my world (second only to bananas). First in spotted dick (yes, that's what it's called) and now in cobbler. Must devote more free time to the abolishment of raisins on the general terrain of earth.

2 comments:

  1. YAYYYY MANDERZ HAS A BLOG!!! And it looks all fancy like and pretty and stuff too! Getting classier by the minute Madame Reck. (must admit, I just read a bunch of emails from the Sorbonne in French and I felt like a classy beezy as well.)

    I love you and miss you and will aid you in whatever way possible with this quest to abolish raisins, especially well hidden and unexpected raisins. Last night my mom and I went out for Indian food, and not only was it not that great (trying out new restaurant, we were the only ones there, which should have been a clue), but my vegetable korma was full of raisins! Blegh!

    I'm so excited you're blogging! Miss you! Gaaaahhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha. I am no imagining speeches Greg would give as head proctor. And by "speak," I mean "slur."

    I agree re:raisins.

    ReplyDelete