Monday, January 25, 2010

C., this is for you.

Dinner menu: unidentifiable but delicious soup, shepherd's pie/steamed potatoes/ sliced parsnips, apple crumble with custard sauce

Also finally had secondary tutorial, and am so in love. J. Ballam, you have just ensured my continuing love for arthurian legend until the day I die. a. he compared the "arming of the hero" to the chorus of a pop song, only the way he said the word "pop" was most definitely in air quotes, and then he referenced a medieval gathering where everyone would start "poeming" along with the orator. Reading Malory for next time.

Emailed guy about poetry workshop in Christ Church, but basically asked about his "poetry thing" so not expecting grand response to that gem of an inbox surprise.

Spent rest of night reading books completely irrelevant to work about how Disney stamped himself into all his fairytales and how this one guy appropriating some German folktale is "a folklorist's nightmare" and ruining a. the Grimm brothers b. the American public in general by misleading them into thinking a wild man is their role model when in fact, he was a nasty murderer. Basically, the author rips him to shreds: In fact, his mythopoetic projections and dilettante references to myth and folklore obscure the origins and significance of Iron Hans, while his eclectic reconstruction of putative initiation rituals has more to do with his own yearning for a male mentor or a desire to become a male guru than with providing a rigorous analysis of the problems facing men in contemporary America. This is pretty much the epitome of how I'd like to respond in workshops (peaches, anyone?) so quite enjoyed. Called "Myths as Fairytale, Fairytale as Myth." Also read contextualized tales. Discovered I must read more Angela Carter.

Also in book was a ref. from one of my favorite authors, P. McKillip, about Jane Yolen, and it a. sounds amazing and b. is kind of the way I want my writing to be. So here ya go: her stories make no promises. They present worlds which alter under our eyes like the shapes of clouds. Image flows into image: the tree becomes a lover, the ribbon of gray hair becomes a silver road out of torment, the tears become like flowers, the old drunk on the beach becomes the god of the sea. Each image is a gift without explanation

1 comment:

  1. a. WHY IS EVERYTHING YOU READ SO BEAUTIFUL AND BRILLIANT

    b. I was like, "hmmm I'll check amanda's blog even though I'm sure she didn't post again" AND THEN I WAS WRONG. and I was so happy.

    c. mmmm mmmm mmmm shepherd's pie

    ReplyDelete